So another blog enters the world, bleary-eyed and just starting to flex its muscles. I only have a vague idea of what convention dictates for blogs these days and a few convictions about what I want to bleat about. So, without any further waffle, here they are:
1. Blogs are a good way to share research
2. Some things are too long for twitter
3. Blogs are there to given opinions
I'm afraid you won't find a large amount of unpublished work here, due to the constraints of how science publishing works, but I hope to pose a few problems and solutions along the way and maybe a quick review of anything I do get published.
One of my motivations is a project I can't currently find a link for (please post if you can remember anything about it) where a mathematical theorem was developed in a wiki/blog style and solved relatively quickly by a disparate group of mathematicians ranging from established researchers to interested school kids. There's a huge emphasis on precisely who does what piece of research when, which is challenged by this approach. I guess that's a topic for a whole other post, so watch this space.
I have a few posts already brewing and please suggest anything you would like me to write about. Also, I'm rubbish at coming up with names for things, so a small prize will be awarded to anyone who can come up with a name for this blog that I like and adopt.
No comments:
Post a Comment